I typically try to read about a book a month (shout out to my book club friends for keeping me accountable), but in the winter season that number often quadruples. There's just something really nice about cozying up with a good book at the end of the day! When it comes to book recommendations, I usually see what Reese Witherspoon has picked as her book of the month---she never fails me! Today I'm sharing the 16 books that have kept be entertained this winter and why you should read them. They're in no particular order, but I starred my top 5 favorites!
- Building a Story Brand: The perfect book for business and marketing people looking to better tell their brand's story.
- The Wife Between Us: A thriller about a jealous ex wife wanting to stop her husband from remarrying. It's crazy enough to keep you on your seat without keeping you up at night!
- Braving the Wilderness: Brene Brown's latest book is filled with wisdom and life advice that everyone can learn from. I recommend buying the audiobook and listening during your next long drive.
- Commonwealth: This family drama, which tells the story of two families brought together by an affair, was Reese Witherspoon's book club pick a few months back! It's challenging to keep up with all the different characters and their individual stories, but the overall narrative of how the children were affected by the affair is poignant.
- Into the Water: This twisted mystery novel focuses on a river in a small town that several women have died in.
- Pretty Girls: This is the creepiest kind of thriller, one I couldn't stop thinking about for weeks after I finished reading it. The book parallels the stories of two girls whose younger sister vanished 20 years prior.
- ***The Woman in the Window: An unreliable narrator type thriller about a woman who sees something (or thinks she sees something) from her window. It's slow to start, but the ending totally shook me.
- ***Little Fires Everywhere: Reese Witherspoon is teaming up with Kerry Washington to turn this family drama into a mini-series, so you know it's going to be good!
- The Lying Game: The story of 4 boarding school girls and the secret that brings them all together decades later.
- The Woman in Cabin 10: A woman on a cruise ship sees another passenger being thrown overboard, but, since all the passengers are accounted for, no one believes her story.
- The Couple Next Door: A couple's baby goes missing. Enough said.
- The Light We Lost: The main character (Lucy) tells the story of her epic past romance and how it will influence the life altering decision she must make in the present day. This is going to be turned into a movie so add it to your reading list if you like reading them beforehand!
- ***Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine: Reese Witherspoon picked this up for a movie, so, again, you know it's going to be good. The book focuses on Eleanor Oliphant and how a traumatic experience in her past has shaped her present state of loneliness, depressions, and awkwardness with relationships. There are dark themes, but a lot of LOL moments too.
- The Luckiest Girl Alive: the story of Ani, a magazine writer with a loving family, and the traumatic experiences behind her seemingly perfect life.
- ***The Alice Network: Two women are brought together by the events of WWII. Probably my favorite book of the 16! It's similar to the Nightingale if you've ever read that. So, so good!!!
- ***The Last Mrs. Parrish: an amazing thriller (and Reese Witherspoon book club pick) about a woman who manipulates her way into upper class society.