Finding the Perfect Frame
As both an artist and a self proclaimed art history nerd (I can claim that title if it was my major in college, right?), nothing makes me happier than being surrounded by art. When it comes to decorating, I believe the right piece of art can not only change your mood, but also bring original style and personality to your space. I generally determine a painting's value based on how much it makes me smile, and always seek to create and surround myself with bright and joyful pieces. That, and the fact that I'm also an artist, means I have a ton of art that seems to endlessly rotate around in my tiny apartment. It's a simple way to breathe new life into a space!
While I'm not a professional framer, I get asked about framing multiple times a day, and thought it would be helpful to compile a list of resources for everyone. My experience as an artist (and art collector!) has taught me a lot about framing, specifically how choosing a high quality frame can greatly enhance the value of a painting. I'm all for shopping on a budget, but, once you've purchased your hard-earned money on art, you have to make sure the frame does the investment justice. If you frame your art in something unflattering and cheap looking, this will minimize the art's value and you'll only wind up replacing it anyways. Still, frames can be pricey, and there are an overwhelming amount of options. To help you out, I've outlined all my best tips, tricks, and finds below:
HOW TO FRAME ART:
- Keep it simple. Neutrals will be the most timeless and won't take anything away from the piece. Every now and then a colored mat is a fun and welcomed addition though!
- Choose frames in similar color families and details.
- When in doubt, add a mat. Larger mats look better with smaller pieces and vice versa. I also love floating original illustrations onto a mat and then framing.
CUSTOM FRAMING RESOURCES
- First, always start by calling or visiting somewhere local! I think the best option is always a small framer that will take the time to talk to you about your style and what you're looking for.
- Simply Framed
- Framed & Matted
- Apartment Therapy's guide for selecting a frame, mat, & glass
- The Wall Street Journal's tips for choosing the right frame
SHOP MY FAVORITE FRAMES:
I currently have all my fine art prints professionally french matted and framed in black wood frames (images shown in each product listing). So if you are ordering from my online shop and love the black frame look, you can just select "add a frame" at check out to simplify the entire process because we can do that for you!
I linked to a few frame sets because white looks cleanest in multiple matching styles. They're all pretty similar, but I'd maybe get these and work from there!
ANYWAY, I hope this helps some of you get started with the framing process. I promise to continue updating you on any future framing finds and discoveries. Until then, once you get your art hung, please tag @evelyn_henson and/or #evelynhenson on instagram so I can see! I'm so inspired by how others display art and would love for you to share with me.
PS- SHOP MY FRAME HUNTING LOOK BELOW:
Evelyn Henson is part of several affiliate advertising programs. This means that if you click and/or make a purchase through certain links on this site or any related social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram), I may make a commission from that click and/or purchase. All opinions are my own.